As dentists, your most valued number has always been 32, or the total number for a complete set of teeth. But there are now also other numbers and figures to consider with the Internet being such a big part of people’s lives. Here are some quick stats to chew on:
- 8 out of 10 say they began looking for health or medical information, as well as doctors or health professionals at a search engine such as Google, Bing, or Yahoo.
- 72% of users say they looked or health information online within past year.
- 35% of adults say that at one time or another, they have gone online specifically to try to figure out what medical condition they or someone else might have. We call them online diagnosers.
- 46% of online diagnosers say that the information they found online led them to think they needed the attention of a medical professional.
- 53% of online diagnosers followed-up with medical professional after online diagnosis.
- 52% of smartphone owners gather health info and health-related services on their phones.
- 34% of people have read about someone else’s experiences with medical issues online